Interesting tidbits about Oklahoma
Did you know?
- Oklahoma's state capitol building in Oklahoma City is the only capitol in the world with an oil well under it.
It's legal description is Capitol Site #1, it is also refered to as Petunia #1 because it was originally drilled in the middle of a flower bed.
- Oklahoma has produced more astronauts than any other state.
Major General Thomas P. Stafford (Weatherford)
Gordon Cooper (Shawnee)
Owen Garriott (Enid)
Shannon Lucid (Bethany)
William Reid Pogue (Okemah)
John Herrington (Wetumka) Native American
- The highest point in Oklahoma is Black Mesa, located in the Panhandle at 4,973 feet.
The lowest point in the state is east of Idabel in southeast Oklahoma at 287 feet above sea level.
- Cimarron county is bordered by more states than any other U. S. county:
Oklahoma, Texas, Kansas, Colorado, New Mexico
- Oklahoma has a statewide area of 69,919 square miles, ranking 18th in the United States in terms of size.
- Oklahoma has four mountain ranges: Quachita, Arbuckle, Wichita and Kiamichi, all in the southern half of the state. Forests cover approx 24 percent of the state.
- Inventions made in Oklahoma are:
The parking meter
The aerosol can was invented in Bartlesville
The shopping cart was invented in Ardmore
- Oklahoma has 12 distinct ecosystems, everything from mesas, sand dunes and wet lands to mountains, wilderness and tall grass prairie. Only one state has more Texas, with 13.
Hosted by Genroots.net